Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Early out Days

Oh the energy at school on an early out Wednesday, is incredible. All of the students are so loud and obnoxious. I often wonder, and try to remember how I acted in middle school, what I was like.We used to have early out Wednesday's every other week, which was disappointing when we found out South Sevier (our rival school) was getting out early every Friday. Our school was not slow to follow though. We soon started getting out early every Friday, and I can remember LOVING Fridays. Extra long weekends. I never saw it from the teachers side until now. The teachers don't get out early. They have to continue their day by attending boring meetings, in which everyone complains about whats wrong with the education system and what needs to be fixed. I've also been thinking a lot about when you get older, and get more privileges to make your life easier, it actually is just making it more complex. Everything is about progression. At King Intermediate, they have an advisory class, in the middle of the day on Tues, Wed, and Thurs. Well on Tues, and Thurs they use it as a study hall, but every Wednesday their teacher is supposed to give advice to the class, and have them do some small assignment. Today we watched this video about adding things to  your "toolbox". And although the students don't see it now, why they need to stay in school, and work hard, later on, depending what they have in their toolbox is going to determine their future. It's all about progression. Here's an example i have been thinking about. Before you have your drivers license, you have to walk everywhere, or ride the bus, or convince friends/family to give you rides. But once you get your license, and a car, you feel soooo free!! At least that's how I felt. BUT it comes with all these responsibilities. You have to know how to drive the car, you have to get it registered, and have insurance. You have to keep up the maintenance of the car. There are all of these hidden responsibilities that you don't see until you are given the freedom to "drive". I have just been thinking about responsibilities lately, because once I become a teacher, and have my own classroom, I'm going to have a whole TON more of responsibilities. I have been teaching one class a day this week, and it has been a lot of fun. I am starting to learn the students names, and getting to know all of these little aliens. Looking back at my life in middle school, it seems like it was a different life. Everything is so different now. Everyone was immature back then, and no one cares about middle school now. I just need to remember that as I am teaching these students. They are just aliens, and will one day grow up, and maybe become real human beings. Anyway maybe I will make an impression in some of their lives, that's what I hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment